Friday, March 13, 2015

Books for when you're feeling kind of meh

There are days when things just seem hell bent on not going your way. On your way to school or work that morning, you were splashed with muddy rain water as an unscrupulous driver rushed past you. Then, later that day, you remembered that assignment you were supposed to submit only when the lecturer walked into the class. Or maybe your boss yelled at you over something that was actually your fault. On the bus ride home, you casually leaned your head against the window and pretended for a little while that you were in a sad music video. Eventually though, you found yourself back home. After changing into comfy clothes and making yourself a warm cup of tea, you decided to go sulk a bit in front of the rain soaked window to continue that sad music video playing in your mind. But then you remembered about that book in your shelves. The one that never fails to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So instead of sulking, you grabbed your cup of tea and made your way to your shelves. After quickly brushing your fingers along the book spines, you stopped at one particular book. Setting your cup down, you pulled the book towards you.

So, which one of the following sounds like something you might have picked?

1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling 


Harry Potter is almost a classic at this point. Reading this book is like coming home for the holidays. The first book is not as dark as the later volumes and is both highly imaginative and fast-paced. A few pages into this book and you'll be too engrossed into the story to remember your crappy day. 
Disclaimer: Don't be surprised if Harry Potter shows up in every single of my monthly recommendations posts...

2. Yes Please by Amy Poehler


I listened to the audiobook of this and I think that's the best way to enjoy this book. The ever awesome Amy Poehler herself narrates the book, which makes it way more fun than reading it yourself would be. Yes Please covers the ups and downs faced by Amy during her life and career. Despite the topics discussed in it though, the book is written in a fun and fast-paced tone. It's like sitting with friends and discussing life stuff with them. Definitely something you want to read when you're feeling kind of blue.  

3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


This is the coming-of-age story of Charlie, a shy, antisocial but highly intelligent boy. When we first meet Charlie, he's a somewhat lonely boy who doesn't really have any friends and who is clearly dealing with a few serious issues. As his story progresses though, Charlie really shines through as a strong character. Reading about how Charlie slowly makes his way through life, learning about sex, relationships, love and grief along the journey, will make you forget your troubles for a little while as you discover a story that is as sweet as it's deep.

4. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson 


Amy has not been behind the wheel since the car accident that killed her dad. When her mother moves the family across the country, leaving some time ahead of her, Amy is compelled to rely on a family friend, Roger, to drive her to her destination. Along the way, Amy finds herself figuring out a lot more than just the road map as she and Roger take a detour to discover places they have never visited before. As the trip goes on, Amy realizes that healing might not be as out of her grasp as she initially believed and slowly begins to go back to who she used to be.  This is not your typical, clichéd, contemporary where the girl meets a gorgeous stranger and immediately falls for him. This is a deeper story about hope and healing. The writing too is light and compelling, making it perfect for when you're feeling a little low.

5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë


Despite the somewhat Gothic atmosphere of this beautiful classic, Jane Eyre's story remains one of endurance and hope. Jane spends an unhappy childhood at her uncle's place, hated by her aunt and cousins alike. Later, she is sent to the austere Lowood School where she faces harsh discipline and poor comforts. Jane however manages to overcome the difficulties in her path to become an intelligent and strong young woman. After spending some time at the school as a teacher, she sets out to take up the post of governess at Thornfield. And thus she meets the master of the house, Mr Rochester... This book is perfect for days where you need a little boost of confidence. Jane's perseverance never fails, regardless of all the hardships of her life. This immortal story of courage, hope and love is powerful enough to strike a chord even in young readers who might have never read it before. Also, I think this deluxe edition by Penguin is absolutely gorgeous. I really want to get this edition for myself, my old and very much loved copy of Jane Eyre having become quite tattered over the years. Definitely Amazon wishlist list material!  

So these were my book recommendations for when you're feeling a little meh. Do you have a special book you like to read when things are not quite great? Comment down below to share your favorite titles with me! I'd love to see what you would recommend to me. Also, in a few days I'll upload the movie edition of this post so make sure you drop by for that! 

Follow me here:




18 comments:

  1. I've only ever read Harry Potter from your list, so I'll go with him. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Harry Potter! I couldn't agree more. And Perks of being a Wallflower too! That book struck a cord in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Perks was such a beautiful story. The movie, too, is quite good.

      Delete
  3. Breakfast at Tiffany's? Girlfriend in a Coma? Catcher on the Rye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite familiar with these books although the Catcher on the Rye is on my classics to-buy list. Thanks for these recommendations :)

      Delete
  4. I'm such a big fan of Jane Eyre so that is an absolutely perfect pick! :) Harry Potter is of course another perfect one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlene :) I'm planning to re-read Jane Eyre this year. This book is so beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Well, when I'm feeling down I like to read books that make me realize that others are worse off then me. So in other words, depressing books. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked these recommendations a lot! I read Jane Eyre and liked it fairly enough. Although I am not a Harry Potter fan (my excuse is that I have only read the first two books). Also, I really want to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Yes Please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my recommendations :) I don't usually read non-fiction (Yes Please) but was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The Perks, too, is a really good book.

      Delete
  7. Harry Potter never fails to make me smile! The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is a good book too as its really nice watching people's friendships grow.
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being A Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Naomi :) The Perks gets human relations so well. The movie, too, does it justice with respect to that.

      Delete
  8. I've never read Jane Eyre, but you do make me feel like I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy it. Jane is an awesome character and the story is quite intriguing and fast paced.

      Delete
  9. I love to read Jane Eyre in bed after a bed day, where I can get cosy and fall in love with the novel and Mr Rochester all over again! Jane Eyre has helped me through some very tough times and made me believe you can have a happy ending even though there will always be difficulties. Jane Eyre is one of my comfort books and I will love Jane and Edward forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your comment makes me want to get a new copy of Jane Eyre soon! I really can't wait to read this book again.

      Delete